I’ll be honest: I’m rather jealous of photographers. That ability to freeze time at the most expressive of moments is a true gift.
The fact that someone would take their time, taking - I’m told - up to 1,000 images, and spending hours going through each one of those pieces of time to give just 50 or fewer images for us to remember the moments by… It takes a unique brand of love for your craft.
I salute you lot.
I’ve had the honour of seeing such moments from four of these good people - James Reumac Nyakenyanya, The Magic Lens, Quaint Photography, The Focus Photography - moments frozen from Elani's Urban Expression this past Friday (16th December 2011). Truly can't wait to see what else is out there.
My favourite thus far, The Top Twelve Shots Taken at Elani's Urban Expression:
All that were present for that electrifying edition of Elani's Urban Expression, hands up.
*sea of hands*
But back to the Urban Expression experience: The Top 12 moments of Elani’s Urban Expression, as captured by The Magic Lens…
12. Freedoooooom is coming, tomorrow… Yes, they did an amazing cover off the universally recognised movie, “Sarafina!”
9. Sarabi. This is a group that wowed us all as they warmed us up for Elani’s grand entrance. I hear the creak in my bones as I admit this: Can’t the lads dance!
10. A section of the brilliant crowd giving it up for Elani…
9. Bryan Chweya, lawyer by training, at some point had a garment thrown at him from the crowd. An undergarment. True story.
8. This here lady, Wambui Ngugi, is a rock star. Simple as that. Jumped off stage at some point to dance with us folk in the crowd. Someone told me of a time her insane levels of energy had her falling of stage - No, ye sadists, did not happen in this case.
7. Listen to that. Listen. To. That. Yes, I know you can hear her voice through the photo. Urban Expression marked the first open stage on which Maureen Kunga played the guitar - and she wasn’t bad. Wasn’t bad at all.
4. As regards the stage photos of Elani, this has to be my favourite. That’s all there is to say about this one.
3. Pure ecstasy.
2. There’s a face that has made it twice into this Top 12 list. Look at her expression. (Especially against her friend beside her…)
1. And at the top of the list…